From Dragon Ball Encyclopedia, the ''Dragon Ball'' wiki
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Biography
- 3.1 Dragon Ball Z
- 3.2 Dragon Ball GT
- 3.3 Films
- 3.4 Video games
- 3.5 Other media
- 4 Techniques
- 5 Transformations
- 6 Fusions
- 7 Major battles
- 8 Voice actors
- 9 Trivia
- 10 References
Trunks has his grandfather's hair (same color) and his mother's eye color (blue), although his eyes are shaped more like his father's eyes. As per his paternal heritage, his hair and eyes turn blond and (pupil-less) green when he becomes a Super Saiyan.
Trunks wears a dark green gi, an orange belt, orange wristbands, and the same golden boots that Future Trunks wears. He is the only male Saiyan in the series not to have black or brown hair.
Trunks' appearance changes in Dragon Ball GT. He has darker hair and wears a dark blue shirt (sometimes with a brown jacket), khaki shorts, gray boots, and a blue bandana around his neck.
Trunks as a child during the Majin Buu arc is shown to be quite cocky and stingy, as well as mischievous, most likely due to the fact that this Trunks grew up with his father Vegeta and enjoyed the luxuries of peace, while Future Trunks grew up without Vegeta and in an apocalyptic world. Trunks tends to take control over the younger Son Goten, stating to him numerous times how he is both older and stronger (during childhood). Trunks at first also has his doubts about Son Goku, whom he originally believes is not as strong as his father. Later on, Trunks does gain more respect for Goku after seeing his Super Saiyan 3 power in action. As an adult, Trunks is seen to be more respectful and calm, similar to that of his future counterpart, Future Trunks.
Trunks was born in 766 Age to Bulma and Vegeta.
Dragon Ball Z
Main article: Future Trunks
The events of Dragon Ball Z: The History of Trunks told the story of Future Trunks. Thirteen years had passed since the deaths of Son Goku and the other Z Warriors. Future Trunks was seen as a 14 year old boy being taught by a 23 year old Future Son Gohan. Tragically, Future Gohan was later murdered by the Artificial Human twins Artificial Human No. 17 and Artificial Human No. 18. This sparked Future Trunks' first transformation into a Super Saiyan. Three years later, Future Trunks attempted to battle the twins, but failed miserably and was nearly killed. Six months to a year later, Future Bulma completed a Time Machine and Future Trunks travelled twenty years into the past with the hope of finding a way to break the apocalyptic grip the artificial destroyers had on his future. Future Trunks went through a lot of fights and used Gohan's help.
In Dragon Ball Z, Trunks first makes an appearance in the series as his 18 year old alternate future counterpart. Upon arrival, Trunks transforms into a Super Saiyan and easily defeats Freeza with his sword and his father King Cold with a powerful Ki Blast. He, along with the other Z Warriors, then await for Goku's return to Earth. Once Goku arrives, Trunks tells of the horrors that will soon unfold. He explains that in three years, on the morning of May 12th at 10:00 a.m., two tremendously powerful Artificial Humans will appear, kill all of the Z Warriors, and will reign destruction upon the earth for nearly two decades. He also tells of Goku's death from a Heart Virus six months before the androids attack. After giving Goku an antidote for the virus, Future Trunks takes his leave back to his time.
The Artificial Humans
Three years later, both Future Trunks and Trunks appeared during the Androids Saga and co-existed in the same timeline for a brief period of time. Future Trunks, along with the other Z Warriors, had the main roles of defeating the Artificial Humans and eventually the evil Cell.
After Cell's defeat at the hands of Super Saiyan 2 Gohan, Future Trunks returned to his future timeline much more powerful than before and effortlessly killed both of the Artificial Humans and Future Cell. Future Trunks is never seen in the series again, but is talked about and hinted toward later on.
The World Tournament
Seven years following Cell's defeat, Trunks took a much larger role. Trunks was now eight years old and fantastically strong for his age. He was trained by Vegeta over the years, though at some unknown point in time he was able to transform into a Super Saiyan as well as become acclimated to the state without Vegeta's knowledge. This was first shown on-screen while he was training in a gravity room with Vegeta and transformed out of nowhere and leapt around naturally in gravity that at first was supposedly overwhelming him. This came as a massive shock to Vegeta considering his young age.
In the Junior Division of the 25th World Martial Arts Tournament, Trunks makes it all the way to the grand finals and becomes the new junior champion by defeating his best friend Goten] the second son of Goku and Chichi (by cheating and becoming a Super Saiyan when they agreed not to in the tournament, though Goten had cheated and done so earlier in the fight).
Babidi Saga - Majin Buu Saga
Goten and Trunks competed in the adult division disguised as Mighty Mask, but No. 18 realized this and blew their cover while in the match, disqualifying them. Shortly after Trunks learned about Majin Boo from Son Videl, he tried to help his father battle the monster. He and Goten were knocked out by Vegeta, however, who blew himself up to try to destroy Majin Boo, albeit failing. The boys were taken to the Heavenly Realm to take shelter from Majin Boo. When they woke up, they learn that Vegeta and Gohan had died dead. Goku told them about the Fusion Dance to defeat Majin Boo. Babidi made an announcement to the world that if Goten, Trunks, and Piccolo did not show themselves, Metro West would be destoryed. Trunks rushd to Capsule Corporation to get the Dragon Radar. Goku intersected Babidi and Majin Boo and showed them his Super Saiyan 3 form. Majin Boo and Goku fought each other while Trunks got the Dragon Radar. Later, Trunks returned to the Heavenly Realm with the Dragon Radar and showed Goku his respect. Goku showed them the Fusion Dance and Super Saiyan 3 form. Goku time on Earth had ended, however, and he left Piccolo to teach the boys the rest of the Fusion Dance. Everyone in the Heavenly Realm said goodbye to Goku as he left with Uranai Baba back to the Next World.
Main article: Fusion Saga
During the Fusion Saga, he and Goten fight Majin Buu, both separately and by joining together into the temporarily-fused being Gotenks. Trunks can be a bit of a spoiled brat at times, but this is probably only due to the fact that he has spent a great deal of time around Vegeta, and has unconsciously adopted his father's cocky attitude (and low opinion of Goku; this changes when Trunks witnesses the Super Saiyan 3 form for the first time). Trunks seems to have developed a habit of mocking and mooning his enemies. After being set free from Super Buu, Trunks is killed when Kid Buu self-destructs and destroys the Earth.
Kid Buu Saga
Main article: Kid Buu Saga
Trunks is later revived by the Namekian Dragon Balls, and lends energy to Goku's Spirit Bomb. He and Goten also get a group of people to lend a hand as well. Trunks is later seen at a party at his home. 10 years pass, Trunks is forced by Vegeta to compete in the 28th World Martial Arts Tournament. Trunks never gets the chance to compete in the tournament due to Goku and Uub's leaving which cancels the rest of the competition.
Dragon Ball GT
Quest for the Black Star Dragon Balls
Main article: Black Star Dragon Ball Saga
In GT, Trunks goes on a journey with Goku and Pan in a space ship designed by Bulma. Later, a piece of the ship falls off and Goku, Trunks, and Pan are forced to crash land on the planet Immecka to get the parts needed to repair the ship. Groups of merchants then swarm Trunks and the others to the point that they take refuge from them in the Gold Star Hotel. They then realize they are being charged every second for everything in the hotel. They escape without paying and stumble upon the house of an old couple and their children. They talk about Don Kee the ruler of the planet and how he mistreats his rule, just then Don Kee's men come and repossess the old couple's house saying they where behind payment. Goku suggests that they go and fight Don Kee but the couple says that is impossible because of his grand army. On their way back to the ship Trunks drops the Dragon Radar and it is swallowed by the small robot T-2006 nicknamed Giru who says that he can't give the radar back to them because it is already integrated into his system.
Meanwhile Goku notices the ship being dragged away by Don Kee's men. He tries to use Instant Transmission to teleport them to the ship but after two failed attempts realizes that he can't use it in his small body. They are forced to travel to Don Kee's palace on foot to recover their ship. Pan decides that they will use a stealth operation to recover the ship and would only result to fighting as a last resort. After briefly sneaking around a large rock falls on Trunks' head and Giru starts making noises that alarm the guards. The guards open fire on the group. Pan jumps in the carrying car while Goku moves the ship onto the car and Pan drives the ship out of the palace with Goku and Trunks. But while escaping, Don Kee's henchmen Gale and Sheila fire a ki blast at Goku who reflects it back with ease towards Ledgic Don Kee's right hand man who recognizes them as Saiyans.
Goku and the others escape but Trunks says they have to go back into town for more more parts due to Pan's "reckless driving". Once they reach the town everyone hides and Trunks finds the three of them on Immecka's most wanted list. While running from Don Kee's men they fall into the house of a nice old couple who offer them food after realizing Goku and company mean no harm. They say that Don Kee made it a law that no one is allowed to own a ship so that no one would escape the planet including the old couple. Pan gets fed up and convinces Goku and Trunks to go face Don Kee head on. They turn themselves in to the police and get brought to the palace. Once there Goku and Trunks and Pan incapacitate Gale, Sheila, and all of Don Kee's guards. Then Goku blasts his way into Don Kee's throne-room. Don Kee sicks Ledgic on the fighters after capturing Pan in an energy chamber. Ledgic says that he will fight Goku but for his own satisfaction. After a short fight Goku defeats Ledgic and they take down Don Kee and make him give everyone free rent and give them back their ships free of charge. Plus Don Kee gives them the parts they need for free and they leave Immecka.
They then land on an unnamed planet where everything is larger than life. They finds the Four Star Ball in the tooth of a giant and they go to the next planet.
On Planet Gelbo, they find the Six-Star Ball in the hair of the princess of the village, Leena. Trunks asks for the ball but her finance Doma said that they where in a large problem already. The amphibian creature Zoonama would keep on terrifying the village, if they didn't give him a wife. The villagers had agreed on Leing for his bride. Goku, Trunks, and Pan decide that they will help them out in exchange for the Dragon Ball and they agree. Pan comes up with the idea to disguise Trunks as Leing. Zoonama comes and takes Trunks to his lair. Trunks gets Zoonama tipsy and Goku arrives with Pan and Doma. Doma cuts off Zoonama's left whisker with a huge pair of scissors and as he cuts off the left one Zoonama awakens in a drunken rage. He begins to wiggle his whiskers and an earthquake begins to come, but stops soon after, while Zoonama continues to wiggle his whisker. Pan realizes that he can't cause earthquakes, but only predict them. But, now he is so tipsy, that he didn't realize that the quake was over. Suddenly a really big earthquake erupts and Goku and the others leave the cavern with Zoonama, because they are under a volcano that is starting to erupt because of the earthquake. Goku stops the huge volcano with a Kamehameha Wave, saving the village, and winning the Dragon Ball. Just as he goes to get the ball the mysterious Para brothers arrive and take it.
Trunks then jumps in the ship with Pan and Goku and they chase after the Para brothers. The brothers trick them onto the asteroid of Beehay inhabited by huge bloodthirsty worm-like creatures called Mouma. The Para brothers escape and fly to the planet Luud. They go to Cardinal Mutchy Mutchy who tells them that they have failed and that Trunks has another Dragon Ball on his ship that they failed to get and they must go retrieve it. They travel back to find Goku and the others and they get hypnotized by the Para brothers until they are saved by the hungry Mouma. Pan goes aboard Para's ship to find the Dragon Ball that they stole. She accidentally activates the auto-pilot and is brought to Luud. There she is captured and turned into a doll for the evil lord Dolltaki. Goku shows up with Trunks and kills Cardinal Mutchy Mutchy who reveals that he is actually two parts, the body and the whip which transforms into Mutchy and fights Goku. Trunks finishes Mutchy off with the Flash Bang attack and saves Goku from Mutchy's whip-like arms.
Then Dolltaki turns everyone except for Trunks, Himself, Goku, and Pan into dolls and feeds them to the machine deity Luud. Dolltaki then awakens Luud who takes him and Pan inside of Luud's body to gain their energy. While Luud fights Goku and Trunks Pan forces Dolltaki to tell her the weakness of the seemingly invincible Luud. Dolltaki reveals that Goku must strike the outside of Luud's mechanical heart while Pan strikes the inside at the exact same time. After multiple tries Goku and Pan finally succeed and destroyed Luud freeing all of the people. Trunks then takes back his Dragon Ball and they leave the planet.
Main article: Baby Saga
In the Baby saga, Baby possesses him but seems to be driven out by Trunks' power, when Baby possessed Trunks he turned Super Saiyan and removed Baby from his body, when in fact Baby only wanted to place an egg in him, to be later activated on Earth. As a servant of Baby, Trunks helps to power him up to defeat Goku on Earth. On the reconstituted New Planet Plant, he, Goten, and Gohan try to save their new lord from Uub, who seems to overpower him. However, Baby was just playing with Uub, and blasts his slaves into unconsciousness for their interference. Trunks is the first to be cured by the Sacred Water, and after being cured, he along with Gohan and Goten help to restore the energy of Super Saiyan 4 Goku so that he can finish off Baby. Trunks appears to have inherited his mother's fascination with technology. He gets distracted by the gadgets on the hospital planet, allowing Baby to sneak up on him. This turns out to have been a plan to lure the villain into a trap however, as Goku, Trunks, and Pan could sense Baby's ki when he got excited about hunting them.
Super 17 Saga
Main article: Super 17 Saga
A year later, Trunks observed the 30th Tenkaichi Tournament due to the fact that it was too late for him to compete.
A month later, Trunks is ambushed by a brainwashed No. 17. Trunks joins up with Goten, Majuub, Pan, Gohan and Vegeta to fight countless villains who have escaped from Hell. Trunks, then joins the fight against Super 17 but is unable to defeat him even with the help of Gohan, Goten, Majuub, and his father.
Shadow Dragon Saga
Main article: Shadow Dragon Saga
Later, against Syn Shenron, Trunks tries to restore Goku's energy once again along with Goten and Gohan. After the dragon transforms into Omega Shenron and Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta suggests he and Goku fuse to defeat him, Trunks along with Gohan, Goten and Majuub tries to hold off Omega long enough for Goku and Vegeta to fuse. They are successful and Goku and Vegeta form Gogeta.
Later on when Goku is presumed dead by Omega Shenron, Vegeta decides the earth's best bet is for him to try and defeat Omega Shenron while everyone else escapes. Before sending them off, Vegeta requests that Goten, Gohan, Trunks continue the fight if he fails. The three half-Saiyans say goodbye to their families and decide to go back to help Vegeta in the fight but they are all easily defeated. However they do succeed in distracting Omega long enough for Goku to charge his Universal Spirit Bomb which destroys the Shadow Dragon.
Trunks is last seen telling Pan that the Dragon Balls will come back after the Earthlings have proven they can take care without them.
Trunks' first movie appearance was in a brief scene during Dragon Ball Z: Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan where he was seen being held by Bulma as a baby. He also appeared in Bojack Unbound as a baby.
During Dragon Ball Z: Broly: Second Coming, Trunks took one of the main roles as he and Goten battled the awoken, enraged Broly. Despite putting up an impressively decent fight against the Legendary Super Saiyan, they were eventually defeated, only to be saved by Son Gohan.
In Dragon Ball Z: Bio-Broly, Trunks and Goten once again teamed up to battle the cloned version of Broly, Bio-Broly. The two young Super Saiyans eventually defeated the clone by using the ocean water to dissolve him, finally putting an end to the monstrous Saiyan.
Trunks also made an appearance in Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn where he and Goten teamed up yet again to stop the evil villains who had returned from Hell. They most notably battled against The Dictator, a Dragon Ball version of Hitler.
In Dragon Ball Z: Wrath of the Dragon, Trunks befriends the hero named Tapion, who, after Goku defeats the evil monster Hirudegarn, gives Trunks his sword, even saying it was always meant for him, (in reference to Future Trunks' swordsmanship). This sword is then later seen in the intro of Dragon Ball GT, but it was never used in any episodes.
Trunks appeared in Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods.
He is named Kid Trunks (トランクス 幼年 期, Torankusu Yōnen Ki) in the English versions of the Budokai video game series and Budokai Tenkaichi video game series in order to differentiate him from his alternate timeline counterpart.
Trunks appeared in Dragon Ball Z: Sūpā Butōden 3, Dragon Ball Z Manga Kasetto, Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22, Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors, Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World, Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout, Dragon Ball: Raging Blast, Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2, and Dragon Ball Heroes.
In music, the song "Chiisa na Senshi~Goten to Trunks no Theme~" by Shin Oya focuses on both Trunks and Goten.
- Big Tree Cannon – Used in the Budokai Tenkaichi video game series. Its attack is similar to Vegeta's Final Flash, though scaled down in power. He performed an attack similar to this against Goten in the Tenkaichi Tournament. It is debatable whether this is the same attack. This is attack is also known as the Double Buster in the Budokai video game series.
- Buster Cannon – Used in the Budokai video game series by Trunks and his future counterpart. It is similar to Vegeta's Final Flash where Trunks gathers energy in each of his hands and forms it into a large ball, pulls it back and fires at the opponent.
- Fainaru Kyanon – Fainaru Kyanon (ファイナル キャノン, Fainaru Kyanon; Literally meaning "Final Cannon")
- Flash Bang – Used in DBGT to kill Mutchie. It looks similar to Vegeta's Big Bang attack except pure white instead of white and blue.
- Full Power Energy Barrage Wave – Trunks first used this against Broly in Dragon Ball Z: Broly: Second Coming.
- Full Power Energy Blast Volley-Trunks used this technique against Omega Shen Long.
- Fusion Dance – The ability for two beings to become one. Trunks performs this ability many times with his friend, Goten, temporarily creating the being, Gotenks.
- Kamehameha – Trunks never displays the knowledge of how to use this attack in the original manga series, however, he displays this skill in Dragon Ball Z: Bio Broly and later in Dragon Ball GT. Trunks most likely learned the attack from watching Goten or Gohan using it or by shared knowledge during his time fused with Goten as Gotenks. The Legacy of Goku video game series gives him his own unique version of the Kamehameha named the Flame Kamehameha where Trunks fires a Kamehameha-like wave composed of fire and flails it around like a whip.
- Ki Blast
- Ki Sense – Trunks can sense life energy.
- Kikoukenjutsu Sword Style – Trunks and Goten founded this sword style and many of its techniques (which are seen in Dragon Ball Online).
- Kiseki no Daburu Atakku – Kiseki no Daburu Atakku (奇跡 の ダブル アタック, Kiseki no Daburu Atakku; Literally meaning "Miracle's Double Attack")
- Super Explosive Wave – Trunks charges up his whole body with energy and then releases that energy into a giant explosion to cause serious damage to any opponents caught inside the explosion. He used this attack to try to stop Omega so his father and Goku can do the Fusion.
Main article: Super Saiyan
Trunks gained the power to become Super Saiyan Trunks (スーパー サイヤ人 トランクス, Sūpā Saiya-jin Torankusu) at a very young age. He used this form to fight against Son Goten in the World Martial Arts Tournament.
Main article: Gotenks
Gotenks is the Fusion created when Goten and Trunks perform the Fusion Dance. Gotenks' power far surpasses either of the fighters' individual strengths, as he attains not only the Super Saiyan form, but also the Super Saiyan 3 form.
- Trunks vs. Son Goten (Victor: Trunks)
- Trunks and Son Goten (as Mighty Mask) vs. Android 18 (Victor: Draw)
- Trunks, Son Goten, and Majin Vegeta vs. Fat Boo
- Trunks, Son Goten, Son Videl, and Son Gohan vs. Broly
- Trunks, Son Goten, No. 18, Kuririn, and Hercule vs. Bio-Broly
- Trunks and Son Goten vs. The Dictator
- Trunks, Son Goten, Vegeta, Tapion, Son Goku, and Son Gohan vs. Hirudegarn
- Trunks and Son Goku vs. Mutchie
- Trunks and Son Goku vs. Lood
- Trunks vs. Baby
- Trunks, Vegeta, Son Gohan, Son Goten, Majoob vs. Super No. 17
- Trunks, Son Goten, Son Gohan, Majoob vs. Syn Shen Long
- Trunks, Vegeta, Son Gohan, Son Goten vs. Omega Shen Long
- Japanese dub: Takeshi Kusao
- Ocean Group dub: Cathy Weseluck (Child), Allistair Abell (Adult)
- FUNimation dub: Stephanie Nadolny (Baby), Laura Bailey (Child), Eric Vale (Adult, DBGT)
- Blue Water dub: Matthew Erickson (DBGT)
- Latin American dub: Gabriella Willert (Child); Sergio Bonilla (Adult)
- Brazilian dub: Diogo Maques (Child); Marcelo Campos (Adult)
- Philippines dub: Bernie Malejana
- Portuguese dub: Henrique Feist
- Spanish dub: Pilar Valdés (Child); Rafa Torres (Adult, DBZ); José Manuel Seda (Adult, DBGT)
- Italian dub: Monica Bonetto (Child); Simone D'Andrea (Teen and Adult)
- Trunks' grandfather, Dr. Brief, made him a toy that looks like the time machine Future Trunks arrived in. He also had a Goku doll.
- His unusual name comes from the running joke of his family members all being named after various undergarments, though these are downplayed in the English anime, and the word "trunks" can have several meanings, such as plural for tree trunk (interestingly enough, he uses an attack called Big Tree Cannon). The English dub of Dragon Ball Z has his name as Trunks Brief (Torankusu Burifu) while the Dragon Ball GT dub identifies him as Mr. Brief during Trunks appearances as President of Capsule Corp. Bulma does actually refer to him by this full name in the anime.
- His name, Trunks, is a pun on boxers. When it is put together, it becomes Boxer Briefs.
- Trunks has no tail that transforms him to a Great Ape in times of a full moon. Akira Toriyama has stated that this is because the tail is a recessive trait.
- In Dragon Ball Z: Bio-Broly, Trunks is shown to be highly intelligent for his age, as he displays uncanny knowledge of Lord Jaguar's biotechnologies and the Bio-Warriors. When this is noted by Goten, Trunks states, "I come from a scientific family, Goten. It's really no wonder where I get it."
- His favorite food is yakiniku, the Japanese word for grilled meat.
- Trunks is cynophobic, which is the fear of dogs (as he said in Dragon Ball Z: Bio-Broly, "Goten, I have a problem with dogs").
- In the original manga and in Dragon Ball GT, Trunks' hair is a darker shade of a purple. In the Dragon Ball Z anime, Trunks' hair is in a lighter shade.
- The hero of the video game Dragon Quest Monsters, Joker, bares a striking resemblance to Kid Trunks. The game's artwork and character designs were by Toriyama.
- Otokosuki seems to be attracted to Trunks as he can be seen admiring Trunks as he passes by during the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga of Dragon Ball GT, where he is now an employee of the Capsule Corporation.
- As mentioned before, Trunks inherited both Vegeta's egotistical attitude and his father's low opinion of Goku, as seen when Goku arrives on Earth for his one-day revival pass granted by Uranai Baba, where he and Vegeta look upon the emotional scene of Goku reunites with his friends and family and meets Goten for the first time with total indifference. While believing his father to be the best, Trunks does respect Goku as a warrior after witnessing his Super Saiyan 3 transformation, and in Wrath of the Dragon, is shown to express genuine concern for Goku's well-being after he is crushed in between Hirudegarn's hands.
- Trunks gets wished back from the Dragon Balls twice, once when his alternate timeline self is killed by Super Perfect Cell and second when Kid Boo destroys the Earth.
- In Dragon Ball fighting games, one of Trunks' alternate outfits is a small version of the clothing worn by Future Trunks. However, Kid Trunks never wore anything like this in the anime or manga.
- In episode 85 of Dragon Ball entitled "Preliminary Peril", there is a man in the crowd with Trunks' hair style.