From Dragon Ball Encyclopedia, the ''Dragon Ball'' wiki
The Eye Lasers is a precise laser-like energy beam shot from both eyes.
- 1 Usage and power
- 2 History
- 2.1 Dragon Ball
- 2.2 Dragon Ball Z
- 2.3 Films
- 2.4 Data books
- 3 Variations
- 4 Character meaning
Usage and power
The potency of the Eye Laser varies, but most of them are very fast and able to nullify weak attacks and small projectiles, as well as cripple opponents and damage other objects. The Eye Lasers can vary in color from red to a bright blue-tinged white.
King Piccolo Saga
Piccolo Daimao used this attack twice aboard Pilaf's Airship. He destroyed the Electric Rice Cooker used by Mutaito to trap him for centuries and later zapped a hole in the Metro East representation on Pilaf's model of Planet Earth. Later, Piccolo Daimao used this attack twice in King Castle. He killed one of the gate guards when he and his son, Piano, invaded the castle and later zapped Goku in the right kneecap during their second fight when Son Goku's speed began to give him too much difficulty.
Piccolo Jr. Saga
Tenshinhan used a variation of this attack at the 23rd Tenkaichi Tournament. He fired a single beam from his third eye to stun an airborne Goku. Tenshinhan then used this attack in combination with his Shinshin-no-Ken when all four Tenshinhans fired their Eye Lasers from every angle of the Tenkaichi Tournament Arena.
Dragon Ball Z
Piccolo later used it near the beginning of Gohan's combat training to silence Gohan's complaints about harsh conditions, and again as a surprise attack to halt Gohan's offensive. Only in the anime, Nappa performed the Eye Laser technique during the Vegeta Saga when attacking the Earth's military forces while he and Vegeta were waiting for Goku to arrive.
In fact, Frieza was shown using this attack in Namek Saga. His Eye Lasers are much more powerful, allowing him to blast huge holes in walls and attack weaker opponents. It was also shown in a flashback that all the leading Saiyan members of King Vegeta's force attacking Frieza's base were repelled by just one Eye Laser attack of the untransformed Frieza.
Freeza used this attack during the Frieza Saga.
Piccolo used this attack in his fight against Freeza.
Garlic Jr. Saga
Imperfect Cell Saga
Super Boo (Goten, Trunks, Piccolo, and Gohan absorbed) used this attack to destroy several surrounding buildings after he "absorbed" Vegetto during the Fusion Saga.
Coola used this attack in Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge in an attempt to kill Gohan, however, Goku got in the way of the blast.
The Return of Cooler
Metal Coola also used a variation of this attack in Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler in his battle against Goku and Vegeta (they escaped via Goku's Instant Transmission), however, Metal Coola's version differs in function and overall power. His is nearly invisible sparks of light that explode after a certain distance. It is not known if he can control when and where it explodes, but it seems that he cannot.
It is named Kōsengan (光線眼, Kōsengan; Literally meaning "Ray Eye") in Dragon Ball: Daizenshū 7.
Their are several variations:
- Bionic Punisher – A variation of the Eye Lasers used by No. 19 and No. 20. This is also the attack No. 20 uses to destroy a large section of Metro South. Imperfect Cell was also seen using this version of the Eye Lasers when he destroyed a large amount of tanks when he was fighting against Piccolo. No. 16 also uses this technique against Imperfect Cell in the anime.
- Darkness Eye Beam – A variation of the Eye Lasers used by various villains in both the anime and Dragon Ball Z films. Known users include Garlic Junior, Slugg, Majin Boo, Coola, and Freeza.
- Destructive Ray – A stronger variation of the Eye Lasers used by Cooler in the Budokai video game series. It is purple in color and fired similarly to the eye laser.
- Lock-On Buster – A variation of the Eye Lasers used by Meta-Cooler. It is different from the standard Eye Lasers in that it is fired like a burst of energy and not a laser-like beam. It is also much more powerful than a normal Eye Laser (Note: It is possibly the most powerful form of Eye Lasers seen in the series).
- Somasen – A powerful, red-colored Eye Lasers used by both Piccolo Daimao and Tambourine.
- 光 (kō) = light
- 線 (sen) = beam
- 光線 (kōsen) = ray
- 眼 (gan) = eye