From Dragon Ball Encyclopedia, the ''Dragon Ball'' wiki
The Exploding Wave (爆発波, Bakuhatsuha; Literally meaning "Blast Wave") is an energy wave attack used by many fighters.
The user manipulates their ki in order to disrupt a planet's geomagnetic field. The user then creates a massive atomic explosion using a swift upwards motion of their hand that has the potential to cause an almost endless crater in any desired area nearby.
Regardless of Nappa being the most popular user of the technique, Kami (in Shen's body) was the first character shown using the Exploding Wave when he used it against Piccolo at the Tenkaichi Tournament. While performing the technique, Kami used many hand motions and eventually ended with his pointing and index fingers pointing upwards, sending Piccolo flying into the air.
Dragon Ball Z
Nappa first used this attack to wipe out all of King Moai's guards. He used it again when he and Vegeta arrived on Earth and destroyed Metro East completely. Vegeta also commented that the Dragon Balls could have been destroyed by it (though this may be a mistake on Vegeta's part). Later on, Nappa attempted to use the technique against Son Goku, but it was less effective since Goku was able to dodge it.
A variation of the technique was used by Freeza when he first entered his Second Form. Shortly after performing it, Freeza stated that the attack was nothing special, as even Saiyans could do it (meaning Freeza probably was just using it for show or he could not stop himself from using it since he could not control himself in his Second Form).
Dragon Ball GT
- Angry Explosion – Subsequent to his first use of the Angry Explosion, Fat Boo used the technique as the Exploding Wave by lifting both of his hands above his head and causing an explosion that leveled entire cities.
- Blazing Storm – A variation of the Exploding Wave technique used by Nappa. It is named in the
Budokai Tenkaichi video game series.
- Death Storm – A variation of the Exploding Wave used by Freeza. It is named in the Budokai Tenkaichi video game series.
- Gigantic Blaze – A variation of the Exploding Wave used by Syn Shen Long. It is named in the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- Planet Bomb – A variation of the Exploding Wave used by Amond. It is named in Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Volcano Explosion – A variation of the Exploding Wave technique used by Nappa. It is named in the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- 爆 (baku) = explosion
- 発 (hatsu) = departure
- 波 (ha) = wave