Si Xing Long
From Dragon Ball Encyclopedia, the ''Dragon Ball'' wiki
Si Xing Long (四星龍, Shiseiryū; FUNimation "Nuova Shenron"; Literally meaning "Four-Star Dragon") is one of the Evil Dragons.
His name is likely a play on the English word Nova.
Nuova was the fifth Evil Dragon to be fight against Son Goku and Son Pan during the Shadow Dragon Saga. He was the Four-Star Dragon and represented the element of fire. He was born when Piccolo Daimao wished for the restoration of his youth.
He first encountered Goku and Pan when they wandered into his domain – a city which he had reduced to a desert wasteland – and attempted to strike them down whilst encased in an orb of flame. After he introduced himself as "the invincible four-star dragon", Pan proceeded to inform him of the demise of four of the other Evil Dragons (something which seemingly surprised Nuova) and attempted to fight Nuova herself. He easily dodged her attack, however, and knocked her out with a sound blow to the head. Goku demanded that Nuova release the unconscious Pan and, to the Saiyan's surprise, Nuova did just that, quietly setting Pan out of harm's way. The two then squared off in a proper confrontation and Nuova swiftly overpowered Goku with his sheer speed and the ability to increase his body temperature to the equivalent of the Sun. Goku was then forced to go on the defense as Nuova relentlessly pursued him all across the city. Goku could only use Ki attacks without burning himself, but found himself too hungry to shoot any.
After nearly meeting his end from Nuova's lethal Nova Death Ray technique, Goku decided to amp up the stakes and transformed straight into his Super Saiyan 4 form. Nuova responded in kind and transformed by shedding his outer shell, becoming much faster. While this allowed Goku to even the odds somewhat, Nuova still held a firm advantage thanks to his speed. Goku was only able to outmaneuver Nuova by leading him underground and using deception, allowing him to catch Nuova off-guard. Goku, however, did not finish off Nuova. When the Evil Dragon demanded to know why, Goku explained that it was his way of thanking him for not harming his grand-daughter when he had the chance. Nuova simply replied that he wished for a fair fight, a policy of which Goku approved. The two then returned to the surface to commence their match anew.
The two were then interrupted by the arrival of Nuova’s twin brother, Eis Shen Long. Eis ridiculed and pummeled Nuova – who did not retaliate due to Eis being his brother – for his apparent weakness and took on Goku himself. Nuova sat on the sidelines, refusing to gang up on an opponent. Goku mostly beat Eis, who then resorted to freezing the Saiyan in place in order to win and instructed Nuova to incinerate him. Instead, Nuova used the heat of his attack to melt the ice surrounding Goku, allowing him to take on Eis a second time. Nuova later stated how disgusted he was at Eis' tactics, but still did not strike him. When Goku successfully had Eis at pointblank range, Nuova was the one who requested that Goku release him if he would give him the Dragon Ball (despite stating that Eis "brought this on himself"). Eis went back on his word, however, and viciously blinded Goku with an icy liquid protruding from his sharp nails.
After Eis' demise, Nuova thanked Goku for a good fight and gave him some sort of medicine for the blindness caused by Eis' final attack. He then stated that he would fight Goku again once the Saiyan recovered. Unfortunately, Nuova was killed on the spot by Syn Shen Long, who was disgusted by Nuova showing mercy to the wounded Saiyan. As he died, Nuova apologized to Goku by saying that he had wanted to settle their fight fairly.
Nuova returned once more before the conclusion of the saga, this time to help Goku and Vegeta in defeating the seemingly unstoppable Omega Shen Long. After almost defeating Omega once during the fight, Goku managed to intercept (and swallow) the Four-Star Ball. This allowed Nuova to be reborn and empowered with Goku’s positive energy and he emerged from Goku's body seemingly loyal to Omega once again. Nuova requested that he face the two Saiyans alone and Omega agreed. Nuova then proceeded to outmatch Vegeta with little effort before blasting him out of the way. After a brief scuffle with Goku, the pair then hit Omega with a surprise attack, allowing Nuova to initiate the next part of the plan to destroy Omega. Surrounding them both in a Nova Sphere, Nuova restrained Omega Shen Long and stated his contempt for him. He then attempted to incinerate Omega once and for all. Nuova even mocked Omega for the way he attacked his opponents by turning his back against him, remembering that he had shot him in the back when he had first appeared. Unfortunately, Nuova’s taunts of him being immune to the heat of his own attack gave Omega the idea to forcefully possess Nuova via Naturon Shen Long's ability to possess bodies (when he absorbed the six other Dragon Balls, he took their powers along with them). Despite his best efforts, Nuova’s body was used as a shell for Omega, allowing him to survive the blast. After the attack dissipated, Omega burst out of Nuova’s body and re-absorbed his Dragon Ball.
Nuova made his debut video game appearance in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3. He is playable in his second form as well as his alternate outfit, which is similar to his brother Eis Shen Long and has the Nova Star as one of his attacks. Although Nuova is a hero in Dragon Ball GT, he is listed as a villain in Budokai Tenkaichi 3. This is because he started out as an evil character. Likewise, No. 16, No. 17, No. 18, and Fat Boo are also listed as villains.
Nuova's innate nobility and morals, unique among the seven Evil Dragons, could stem from a number of places. The most obvious is that he is the dragon of the Four-Star Ball, a Dragon Ball which has always been associated with Goku and his adopted grandfather, Grandpa Son Gohan. Another is that the wish made by Piccolo Daimao – unlike all of the other wishes that spawned the Evil Dragons – was a selfish one, and as such would produce less negative energy after being granted. Nuova also has the distinction of being the last character Goku is able to win over to his side.
Another example of Nuova being a "good" Evil Dragon is the element that he wields, fire, which is viewed as an element of nobility used by some protagonists in certain media.
Nuova's abilities are all heat-based and he can raise the temperature to more than 6000 degrees Celsius, effectively making him hotter than the surface of the Sun.
- Burning Tornado – One of Nuova's attacks in the Budokai Tenkaichi video game series.
- Explosive Wave – Nuova uses this attack in the Budokai Tenkaichi video game series.
- Fire Blasts – Nuova is capable of firing fire blasts from his palms just as casually as he can shoot a Ki Blast. (Like many other fighters.)
- Ki Blast
- Nova Sphere – Nuova Shen Long's ultimate attack. He grabs his opponent, then encases both himself and the opponent in a fireball. The fireball will explode if any volatile attacks are made, with a powerful explosion that can even kill Omega. Nuova himself will not be harmed by the explosion.
- Burst Attack – A huge ball of fire shot at the opponent. This move is used on Goku to melt the ice from Eis's Ice Ray. This attack seems to have variations as this move has in the original Nova shouts, "Burst Attack!" not only when freeing Goku from the Ice, but also when Nuova pretended to be under Omega Shen Long's control he shouted, "Burst Attack" in the Japanese dub although this time the attack was used in a "Lens" fashion. He also used a lower powered version of this attack to SS4 Vegeta's face as a diversion to except he formed a lens first which shoots a lethal blast of Fire at the opponent. He also used this version of his attack twice against Goku in his first form. In the English dub, the "Lens" version is given the name "Nova Death Ray" as opposed to "Nova Star" for the flaming Kamehameha-like ball used by Nova.
- Sun Gun Attack – Nuova hides in a fireball and shoots ki blasts from within it. This attack is not named in the Japanese anime.
- Nuova's personality somewhat resembles that of the early Piccolo (possibly the first truly evil villain to change to good) as he is willing to aid his foe against another enemy and is willing to take on Goku in a fair fight (as Piccolo originally fought Goku at the Tenkaichi Tournament). It is likely Nuova helping Goku was in some ways a tribute to Piccolo (who at this point had died and was stuck in Hell after helping Goku escape).
- Both Goku and Nuova have teamed up with an enemy to defeat their brothers (Goku teamed up with Piccolo to defeat Raditz and Nuova teamed up with Goku to defeat Eis) who are evil & dishonorable. Also they ended up dying shortly after doing so, only to be revived and die a second time (Goku sacrified himself to defeat Raditz and Nuova was killed by Syn Shenron for helping Goku kill Eis, Goku was revived but died protecting the world from Cell and Nuova was revived only to die trying to defeat Omega Shenron).