DB Chapter 3
From Dragon Ball Encyclopedia, the ''Dragon Ball'' wiki
"Sea Monkeys" (悟空・海へ走る, Gokū · Umi e Hashiru; Literally meaning "Goku – Running to the Sea") is chapter 003 of the Dragon Ball manga.
The cover features Goku and Bulma riding a giant lizardlike creature. Goku is sitting in front while holding a guan do and Bulma is on the back scared while holding on to its tail.
Bulma is getting ready to continue her quest for the Dragon Balls. Goku is impatient with her because she takes too long brushing her hair, stating, "If you were any slower, you'd turn into a turtle". Bored, Goku goes outside to train by breaking rocks with his bare hands. He then mistakes a Sea Turtle for a rock and picks it up. Goku believes that Bulma actually turned into a Turtle and is confused when the real Bulma comes outside. After Bulma gives the Turtle some sea water, he explains that he was out gathering mushrooms when he got lost and could not find his way back to the sea for a whole year.
Bulma tells Kame that the ocean is 120 kilometers away, which Goku offers to take him back to the ocean. Bulma rejects the idea but Goku sets out to do so anyway. Bulma, who originally did not want to help, found herself joining in anyway since he Goku still has his Dragon Ball and that she did not want to be left out alone with Dinosaurs wandering around. On their journey to the sea, the group come across a giant Bear Thief, who planned on eating Kame. Goku easily fought him off, showing his Jan-ken attack for the first time.
When the group finally arrived at the beach, Kame was grateful for their help and say's that he will bring them a gift. Goku and Bulma decided to enjoy the beach while they wait. After waiting, Goku and Bulma spotted Kame in the distance with something on his back. Much to the pairs confusion, it was an old man wearing a turtle shell.
- Son Goku
- Bulma Brief
- Bear Thief (first appearance)
- Turtle Hermit (first appearance, name not revealed yet)
Differences from anime
- A strange bird-like Pterodactyl appears flying in background at the part where the Bear Thief sees Goku, Bulma, and Kame coming toward him. In the anime, that animal is replaced by a regular Pterodactyl who is seen not flying.
- Goku defeats the Bear Thief using the Jan-ken. In the anime, it is a normal punch.
- The Pilaf, Shuu, and Mai scenes are not in the manga.
- This chapter takes place on September 2, 749 Age.
- Bulma mentions that she only has 30 days left to find the Dragon Balls meaning that her break from school is over on October 2nd.
- Akira Toriyama's manga incarnation of himself, Tori-Bot makes it first Dragon Ball appearance in this chapter. He also mentions that hes looking for Penguin Village from his previous manga, Dr. Slump.
|Emperor Pilaf Saga|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13|